Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Sarah and her friends are enjoying the mild evenings. I took this at about 9pm on Saturday evening. The girls were sitting around on a mini-trampoline, playing duck-duck-goose. As soon as I walked out with my camera, they started posing. As you can see, I know nothing about taking pictures in the dark. Sarah and Alana kept coming out with a serious case of red-eye. I've done a lot of cooking over the weekend. Lately, I'd been more in warm-up mode, than full-on cooking. I'm not sure if it's because I'm lazy or uninspired. I've tried a few new things - I made home-made pasta for the first time, but ......... well I end up making a lot of tacos or burritos.

Yesterday, I made tacos, but they were grilled steak tacos and I made some fresh tomatillo salsa. It was so easy. Basically you boil onion, garlic, and tomatillos until tender, then cool. You load them into the blender with a bunch of coarsely chopped cilantro, the juice of two lemons, and about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, then blend. I put too much liquid in at first and had to figure out something to lump things up a bit. Celery - I quickly cooked and added some celery to the mixture, re-blended, and yum. It turned out really, really good. Now that I know how easy it is, I'm going to make it all the time. It would make a really good marinade or salad dressing starter, too. This picture turned out really blurry, sorry.

Bay wanted some deviled eggs yesterday. I boiled up the eggs, but they were still sitting in the fridge this morning. Sarah and I whipped them up real fast. I was hoping that helping would make Sarah more likely to eat them, but not so much. We did have some fun, though. Sarah picked some parsley from the garden to pretty them up. What do you think?
I want to get things done around the house today. I tried yesterday and it was impossible. It was not a good day. Bay and I got into a big argument and Sarah kept fighting with her friends. I wish I could get some time away - I've never had time away, not in almost 18 years of being a mom. My mom kept saying, "You need some time away....," yeah, that would be nice, but how can I do it? I'd need someone to take my kids and for some reason nobody can take care of Max. It's not like I have a magical talent - I just get it done. He spends much of the day sleeping - only needs to be fed or changed or talked to. He really is pretty easy, heavy, but easy.

Luckily this is one of the easier things that I can flip around and fix in my mind. Max is wonderful, taking care of him is a job that I love to do. Someday I'm going to get that time alone and I'm going to wish I had Max with me instead.

Wow, I sure know how to depress myself. I think I may have PMS.

No comments: