Saturday, April 26, 2008

Check In and SWAG

Bay and I worked the registration/check-in for the Chico Wildflower Century Bike Race. Her Girl Scout Troop works different parts of the event and they earn money for the troop. It's a pretty good trade-off. Last year we - Bay and I - worked the lunch. I'm pretty sure Bay was mad at me the entire time. I'm not sure why - I was there as a volunteer for her, I didn't get anything out of it. Teenagers, there's just no figuring them sometimes.

We started with an empty room, then we set up tables, folding bandana after bandana, then finally helped with check-in. I like a job where everyone around you has a smile on their face. This was one of those jobs. Everything went pretty smoothly and I think we did a pretty good job.

Here's the view over Bailey's shoulder. She was saying, Mom! don't take my picture as I took it.

I picked up my bag when we were done with our shift. We got some pretty cool stuff in our little backpack. Here's a shot of what was inside.
Here is a shot of the bandana-map. I think I folded about 800 of these today.
I"m very excited. I talked to a lady who was volunteering today and she gave me quite a few pointers. She said to be sure that I drank a lot of water today and that they served pastries from the Upper Crust at the rest stop. Maybe I will see Brandon, my sister-in-law's brother. He bakes for them. Cute kid.

The lady that I met - I cannot remember her name, might have been Angela - grew up in a town by mine. We graduated the same year, so we probably were at some of the same athletic events. She was pretty cool. I want to join the Chico Velo club. I want to meet more people who like to do active things. Everyone we checked in looked excited and happy. We had some people who had driven quite a way to get here - a man from Bend, who asked my boyfriend's name when I said he lived there (he didn't know him), a guy from Iowa, lots of people from the Bay Area.

I'm so excited!! I sure hope that I can sleep.

No comments: