Sunday, April 26, 2009

GroGood For the Jesus Center

I got this stuff in the mail last week - 2 planters, 2 trowels, 2 bags organic plant food, 2 shopping bags, and 2 shopping cards that are supposed to be used to purchase soil. Sarah and I are going to have an urban garden, where we grow vegetables on the patio. It's for the GroGood program.

We want to donate some to the Jesus Center, a facility for homeless folks. Sarah did a Girl Scout event there earlier this year and she had so much fun. She enjoyed all their stories. Bay has worked down there, as well, and Sarah and I have run a 5k event that benefits the Jesus Center twice on Thanksgiving. The whole Chico community supports the program.
I asked Mom what we should grow - what would produce the most vegetables in the smallest amount of space? She suggested zuchini, but I already have a couple of those in my other planters. Any suggestions? I think that I will do some basil. It's easy and we love it.
It's going to be so much fun. By the way, I have little green tomatoes on my cherry tomato plant already. I'll keep you updated on our progress. I'm also going to be documenting it over at BlissTree on the Food/Nutrition section.

2 comments:

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Of course I have to vote for tomatoes! I love them. I want a garden so badly, but no one but me likes veges around here :0(

Homemom3 said...

What a great thing you are doing. I too vote tomatoes and if not tomatoes then peppers. Easiest to grow and produce a ton. If neither sound good strawberries is another one.