Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sarah's First Volleyball Game

Just when I was getting good at regular posting, I got sick.......Well, I'm better now. This week Sarah had her first volleyball game. She had a great time. Here she is getting ready to serve...... Serving is hard for the kids her size. They have to hit that ball so hard to make it over the net. We are going to practice, but it will have to wait a few days, because tonight she's at a Girl Scout camp out. The girls are camping at a water park. She did the same trip last year and it sounds like so much fun. When she calls me I hear girls laughing and squealing.

I've been thinking a lot about that young bride-to-be who disappeared from Yale. I'm not sure why she's on my mind so much, unfortunately bad things happen all the time. I keep thinking about how tiny she is. She's smaller than Sarah - less than 5 ft tall and only 90 lbs. I keep thinking about how excited she must have been this week, finishing things up before her wedding that was supposed to happen this weekend. Her family, her fiance, they must be sick with worry. I don't think that this thing is going to have a good ending. It really, really sucks.

I want to make sure that my girls know how to defend themselves. Bay has had a couple of things happen. I need to make her understand that when it comes to safety, she does not need to worry about being polite. She needs to make sure whomever is acting aggressive better just back off. I'm going to talk to both girls about this, about self-defense, tomorrow night. I think it's time for a family meeting. We haven't had one of those in awhile.

Today is Greg's 18th birthday. Bay has been talking to him today and it's not going so well. I miss that kid. After he first left, I really missed the rumble of his voice in the other room. I hope he finds some way to be happy.

Here's a last shot from volleyball. I love the shiny wood floor. It reminds me of Yreka High School.

No comments: