Thursday, October 8, 2009

Today Sucked

*This post, for some reason, is refusing to be formatted correctly. Please excuse the lack of paragraphs. Grrr.
My son has been sick off and on for awhile now. It started close to 2 months ago. I've been feeding him full of vitamins and trying to keep him well.
On Saturday night he came down with a fever. He seemed to be getting better by Tuesday, but last night he moaned all night. He's always very tough and stoic. I knew that if he was making noise, that he was very uncomfortable. Sarah woke up in the middle of the night and she cried and was shaking. I think it was a combination of fever and nightmare.
In the morning, Max was no better. I made a Dr's appointment for later in the day, because I had a business meeting planned for the morning.
During the meeting I found out that I lost two of my jobs. It's not that I was doing anything wrong - they are just changing the way they are doing those sections. They keep restructuring things, constant change, and while I will be okay without these two sections, money was already pretty tight. I keep trying to look on the bright side. I keep reminding myself that this means I'll have time to work on my book again. I can practice more with my camera. I can find other blogging jobs. I can find other writing jobs. I'm a decent writer. But the truth is this sucks.
Bay went to the appointment with me. While there the Dr mentioned possible pneumonia and that Max needed an xray. We walked down to the hospital and got the xray done. It's pretty tricky to xray a young man with scoliosis. He can't sit up by himself , so I have to somehow hold him upright and stay out of the way at the same time, while balancing him on the end of a large umbrella stroller (can't take the wheelchair in my vehicle). He now has abrasions on his back from the xray film that was shoved behind him. The xray guys were as gentle as possible placing it there, but the boy has no fat and his spine is extremely curved and curled. It's going to be tough to clear this up.
The Dr called after we got home to say that Max had pneumonia is his left lower lung. The nurse said that she'd called a prescription into the pharmacy. I gave Max a breathing treatment, then went to the pharmacy. They said they got the message, but the meds were not something that Max's health coverage would pay for. They tried calling the office and the Dr was gone. I freaked out and cried in front of everyone there. Bay, who would normally be horrified by a display like this, put her arm around me. I was very proud of her, but at the same time I apologized over and over to the pharmacy ladies. I made a scene. It was very embarrassing.
By this point I was tired (next to no sleep last night) and scared (my son has pneumonia and I was told years ago that was how I will eventually lose him). The pharmacy let me leave with a prescription that is so far not paid for, but if it ends up the coverage will not pay for it, I can go back and cover it.
I got home, suctioned Max, and had an unpleasant text conversation. I turned my phone off because I had no energy left to deal with it.
At this point (almost 9:30 pm), Max is eating, I've got a full days worth of medicine in him. His fever is low and he is not barfing. Bay is spending the night some place that I'm hoping she will finally be able to get some rest. Sarah is feeling crappy, but not barfing. Kitty has not scratched the furniture in a few minutes. The day is finally looking up. Thank goodness that it is almost bed time.
Tomorrow will be a better day.


These Nine Acres said...


Askew To You said...

Thanks! I could use all the hugs I can get. :)

Diane said...

oh hon, so sorry to hear about your day! i didn't realize max has scoliosis. i hope his pneumonia clears up quickly and painlessly. i'll definitely be praying for all of you - there's nothing worse than a houseful of sick kids! hang in there, momma!

Askew To You said...

Thanks, Diane. :)He's doing so much better. The Scoliosis is related to his Cerebral Palsy.